Conservative/Liberal and the path to non-duelistic thinking

Lifewriting/Firedance Forums Lifewriting Conservative/Liberal and the path to non-duelistic thinking

So here is a thought for discussion:

Does Conservative or Liberal attitudes impact the likelihood of a person getting to Intermittent Non-Dualistic Awareness?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ellen Saunders
      Participant

I’m going to toss out a sideways observation. It depends on the emotional connections that exist to support those liberal or conservative attitudes.

One’s attitudes about citizenship, equality and suffering, just to quickly pick three, are often deeply experience-based, with emotions evoked by those experiences binding those attitudes to certain filters through which one views new events. If those emotions are strong and have no similarly strong emotions to disrupt or challenge them, it can be hard to dislodge the filter and attitude.

I was struck by your choice of “attitudes” instead of “values” so I’m trying to honor that choice.

Steven Barnes

How would you relate this observation to your own life? How about the life of a character in a favorite film? In one of your own stories?

Steven Barnes

yes, by definition Liberals/progressives would be more open to new ideas…even if they are bad. And Conservatives would hold to established values…even if they are bad. Obviously one would have to be careful, whichever way you lean.

Ross Murker
      Participant

Given my own ideas around the definitions of the two, I’d think liberals would be more open to new ideas… to a point. For myself, if I were to feel somehow limited by the concept (don’t take away *my* “sacred absolutes”!), I would reject those portions out of hand.

Steven Barnes

I suspect that a liberal mindset is a bit more likely to result from/go through the processes that lead to that mindset, but not by much. I can say that one who sees things dualistically is less likely to fall into the NEGATIVE aspects of the conservative mindset, but possibly be more likely to fall into the negative aspects of the Left-leaning personality. Balance is necessary as well as practical life experience.

Michael

So here is a thought for discussion:

Does Conservative or Liberal attitudes impact the likelihood of a person getting to Intermittent Non-Dualistic Awareness?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.