Is there a different mindset for the business aspects of writing?

Lifewriting/Firedance Forums Lifewriting Is there a different mindset for the business aspects of writing?

I just watched Steven’s video on Writer’s Block, and I agree with much of what he says, but I have a question:

What’s the mindset needed for submitting stories and writing
letters to agents?

There is a chunk of our jobs that is totally business/sales. I SUCK at self-promotion and always have, no matter what the field. I think my stories are good, but every time I go to send one out I either find fault
with it and tear it apart, or I spend hours finding JUST the right magazine to send it to, often deciding I haven’t yet found the right one instead of letting the editor make that decision.

I suppose it’s a mixture of fear of failure and fear of success. It’s hard to bottle that long enough to hit send even on the simplest of submission forms. But it’s also … shifting from revision mindset to professional obligation mindset, or something. Do you have a “business mind” or an “adult mode” you go into for submitting as well as dealing with contracts and that type of thing? If so, any tips on staying there?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Ellen Saunders
      Participant

I just watched Steven’s video on Writer’s Block, and I agree with much of what he says, but I have a question:

What’s the mindset needed for submitting stories and writing
      letters to agents?

There is a chunk of our jobs that is totally business/sales. I SUCK at self-promotion and always have, no matter what the field. I think my stories are good, but every time I go to send one out I either find fault
      with it and tear it apart, or I spend hours finding JUST the right magazine to send it to, often deciding I haven’t yet found the right one instead of letting the editor make that decision.

I suppose it’s a mixture of fear of failure and fear of success. It’s hard to bottle that long enough to hit send even on the simplest of submission forms. But it’s also … shifting from revision mindset to professional obligation mindset, or something. Do you have a “business mind” or an “adult mode” you go into for submitting as well as dealing with contracts and that type of thing? If so, any tips on staying there?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.